Events that took place in Fairfax County in 2001:
- January 25 – 15-year-old Jose Rodriguez, a member of the MS-13 youth organization, is convicted of second-degree murder for fatally stabbing 22-year-old Mario A. Rubio-Martinez in the parking lot of the Culmore Shopping Center in Falls Church on July 30, 2000.
- February 2 – Jean Jones, the director of high school guidance at Lake Braddock Secondary School, is placed on administrative leave following allegations that she had changed student's grades in their permanent records.
- March 3 – 20-year-old Sea-Hwan Chang is beaten and mortally injured by a group of men including Jong Duck Choi, Donnie Sunbo Shim, and Chong Yi in the parking lot of the Patriot Village Apartments in Annandale. Chang discovered the men attempting to vandalize his car following his delivery of a beating to two men the previous day. Chang shouted at the men to drop their weapons and fight like men. They didn't, and beat him into a coma. Chang died on March 28.
- April 2 – Mack Reaves, III is sentenced to life in prison plus ten years by Judge Jane Marum Roush for the March 18, 1992 murder of Marilyn M. Bandera in her Mount Vernon home.
- April 3 – The Inova HealthPlex emergency care center opens in the Franconia area of Alexandria.
- May 3 – Judge Kathleen H. MacKay sentences 32-year-old El-Muiz M. Abdu to 31 years in prison for murdering 38-year-old Abdelatif T. Mohammed with a meat cleaver in Vienna on June 3, 2000.
- May 13 – 24-year-old Cuong G. Le shoots and kills 20-year-old Kenny A. Luu and mortally wounds 27-year-old Long Nguyen outside the Majestic Crab House at 2922 Annandale Road in Falls Church. Nguyen dies later in the day at the Inova Fairfax Hospital.
- June 15 – 29-year-old Sterling W. Fisher is sentenced to life plus 30 years in prison for stabbing Paramjit Singh to death during a robbery at the Texaco station at 252 Maple Avenue West in Vienna on July 21, 1995.
- June 17 – Four members of the MS-13 youth organization, Brian O. Sanchez Maradiaga, Melvin O. Lopez, Kenneth G. Penaranda Sanchez, and Jorge A. Cedillos, beat 22-year-old Fredy Reyes-Castillo to death in the Brown's Chapel Park in Reston for falsely claiming to be a member of the organization.
- June 25 – 90-year-old Alzheimer's disease sufferer Earl O. Hannsz goes on a dementia-inspired stroll in Reston and walks into Lake Anne, where he drowns.
- July 5 – 15-year-old Jose Rodriguez, a member of the MS-13 youth organization, is sentenced to 23 years in prison by Judge Henry E. Hudson for the murder of Mario Rubio-Martinez on July 30, 2000, in the Culmore Shopping Center in Falls Church.
- July 13 – Edwin J. Jones is sentenced to 20 years in prison by Judge Jonathan C. Thacher for murdering his girlfriend, 21-year-old Jemmy E. Valladares Rivas, at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel in Fairfax on September 16, 2000 and subsequently stealing her car.
- July 20 – 35-year-old Jose L. Lino pleads guilty to second-degree murder for shooting Martin Mendoza-Argueta outside a party in the Seven Corners area of Falls Church in September 1991.
- August 1 – Despite minor nimbyism from several local residents, the Fairfax County Park Authority's board of directors approves construction of the county's third dog park in the Mason District Park.
- August 13 – 24-year-old waitress Diana Garcia is raped and murdered in Falls Church by Oscar Omar Ramos Hernandez, Oscar Guzman and a third man, all members of the Mara Salvatrucha youth organization.
- September 6 – 26-year-old Hye Jin Lee is stabbed to death in her home at 14629 Seasons Drive in Centreville by 39-year-old Nam Gyu Lee.
- September 19 – Fairfax County government computers are struck by the Nimda worm, forcing the shutdown of the county's Web site and dispatch of 150 technicians to clean the county's 9000 computers and 300 servers.
- September 27 – A worker constructing a retaining wall at the Lincoln at Tysons Apartments project in McLean finds a human skull, leading to the recovery of the skeleton of a teenaged black female who had been beaten to death.
- November 2 – 32-year-old Donnell R. Taylor is sentenced to nine years in prison for his role in the July 21, 1995 robbery at a Vienna Texaco that resulted in the fatal stabbing of Paramjit Singh by Sterling W. Fisher.
- November 30 – 16-year-old Michael G. Titunik is killed when he loses control of the 2002 Volkswagen he is driving and is struck by a 2001 Honda driven by 48-year-old Feshaye Woldemichael on Hooes Road in Lorton.
- December 15 – 49-year-old Sigrid Cronan is shot to death by her 54-year-old husband William M. Cronan, Jr. in the upstairs bedroom of their home at 13209 Twin Lakes Drive in Clifton.
- December 20 – 28-year-old Saeed Deria is stabbed and mortally wounded by his 30-year-old brother Ahmed in Saeed's apartment at 13942 Rockland Village Drive, Apt. 202 in the Rockland Village neighborhood of Chantilly. He is taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he dies.
- December 24 – 49-year-old Guy L. Favorite, III strangles his girlfriend, 47-year-old Brenda S. Hill, then hides her corpse beneath their shared trailer at 7910 Flamingo Drive in Alexandria.
- Jackman, Tom. "Teen Guilty of 2nd-Degree Murder in Fairfax Stabbing." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 26 Jan. 2001. Web. 25 July 2016.
- "Secondary School Official Reportedly Altered Grades." Washington Times. The Washington Times, 28 Feb. 2001. Web. 28 Nov. 2014.
- Bonaiuto, Dominic. "Grade Fixing Still under Review at Lake Braddock." FairfaxTimes.com. Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./FairfaxTimes.com, 7 Mar. 2001. Web. 28 Nov. 2014.
- "Crime & Justice: Virginia." The Washington Post: 0. Jun 05 2001. National Newspapers Core. Web. 22 Nov. 2012.
- Jackman, Tom. "Va. Man Convicted of Manslaughter in Group Beating; Victim had Challenged Men to Fight." The Washington Post: 0. Aug 30 2001. National Newspapers Core. Web. 22 Nov. 2012.
- Pricer, Andrea. "Life Sentence given in Brutal Stabbing." FairfaxTimes.com. Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./FairfaxTimes.com, 3 Apr. 2001. Web. 06 June 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "Va. Man Receives Life Sentence for '92 Slaying; Va. DNA Database Led Police to Suspect Eight Years After Shopkeeper's Death." The Washington Post: 0. Apr 03 2001. ProQuest. Web. 2 Sep. 2014.
- Smith, Leef. "Health Center Offers Range of Care; New Medical Facility Provides Emergency Services, Outpatient Procedures." The Washington Post: 0. Apr 18 2001. ProQuest. Web. 18 Aug. 2014.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE." The Washington Post: B02. May 04 2001. ProQuest. Web. 23 Mar. 2017 .
- Jackman, Tom. "Fairfax Police Continue Search for Suspect in Fatal Shootings; Gunfire Erupted Near Restaurant." The Washington Post: 0. May 15 2001. ProQuest. Web. 15 Aug. 2014.
- Smith, Leef. "Va. Gang Leader Gets 3 Life Terms; Killer Apologizes, Asks Forgiveness from Victims' Families." The Washington Post: 0. Feb 19 2005. ProQuest. Web. 25 Aug. 2014.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE." The Washington Post: 0. Jun 16 2001. ProQuest. Web. 20 Dec. 2013
- "CRIME & JUSTICE." The Washington Post: 0. Jun 27 2001. ProQuest. Web. 5 Sep. 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "VIRGINIA BRIEFING: Two Life Terms in Gang Slaying." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 03 May 2008. Web. 04 Sept. 2014.
- "METRO; in Brief." The Washington Post: 0. Jun 26 2001. ProQuest. Web. 21 Aug. 2014.
- Glod, Maria. "Fairfax Gang Member Gets 23 Years in Death; Teenager Stabbed Stranger to Impress Others, Officials Say." The Washington Post: 0. Jul 06 2001. ProQuest. Web. 17 May 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "N.Y. Man Sentenced in Girlfriends Slaying; 21-Year-Old Admits Choking Va. Woman during Argument at Hotel." The Washington Post: B.07. National Newspapers Core. Jul 14 2001. Web. 22 June 2012.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE." The Washington Post: B02. Jul 21 2001. ProQuest. Web. 5 Aug. 2016.
- McGahan, Jason. "Controversial Dog Park is Approved." The Washington Post: 0. Aug 09 2001. ProQuest. Web. 16 Aug. 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "Gang Member Admits Role in 2001 Va. Slaying." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 10 Dec. 2004. Web. 17 May 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "MS-13 Man Sentenced to 3 Life Terms." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 5 Feb. 2005. Web. 17 May 2014.
- "Crime & Justice." The Washington Post: B.02. National Newspapers Core. Sep 08 2001. Web. 7 Jan. 2012 .
- Rogers, Michael and Norman Oder. "Nimda Virus Slams Fairfax County, VA." Library Journal 126.17 (2001): 16. MasterFILE Premier. Web. 16 Aug. 2014.
- Cho, David, and Peter Whoriskey. "Nimda Virus Leads Fairfax to Unplug Web Site; Technicians Work Nonstop to Halt Program's Spread." The Washington Post: 0. Sep 25 2001. ProQuest. .Web. 16 Aug. 2014
- Jackman, Tom. "Remains of Teenage Girl, Believed Slain, found in Fairfax." The Washington Post: 0. Oct 02 2001. ProQuest. Web. 13 Sep. 2014.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE: Virginia." The Washington Post: 0. Nov 03 2001. ProQuest. Web. 20 Dec. 2013.
- "Family, Friends Mourn Teen." Connection Newspapers. Connection Newspapers, 13 Dec. 2001. Web. 01 Dec. 2016.
- "Clifton Murder Goes to the Grand Jury." The Connection Newspapers. Connection Newspapers, 13 Mar. 2002. Web. 27 Feb. 2012.
- Cooper, Jennifer. "Police Allege Chantilly Man Stabbed Brother." FairfaxTimes.com. Post-Newsweek Media, Inc./FairfaxTimes.com, 27 Dec. 2001. Web. 09 June 2014.
- "Murder Now Charged in Chantilly Stabbing." Connection Newspapers. Connection Newspapers, 29 Jan. 2002. Web. 09 June 2014.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE: Guilty Plea in Homicide." The Washington Post: 0. Apr 08 2003. ProQuest. Web. 16 Sep. 2014.
|Fairfax County by Year|