Mara Salvatrucha, (commonly abbreviated as MS-13), is a youth social club and entrepreneurial association that has franchises active in Fairfax County.
On July 30, 2000, 14-year-old Jose Rodriguez, looking to improve his street cred, fatally stabbed 22-year-old Mario A. Rubio-Martinez in the parking lot of the Culmore Shopping Center in Falls Church.
On June 17, 2001, 22-year-old Fredy Reyes-Castillo was beaten to death in Brown's Chapel Park in Reston by Brian O. Sanchez Maradiaga, Melvin O. Lopez, Kenneth G. Penaranda Sanchez, and Jorge A. Cedillos for falsely claiming membership in the organization.
On August 13, 2001, 24-year-old waitress Diana Garcia was raped and murdered by members Oscar Omar Ramos Hernandez, Oscar Guzman and a third man, who mistakenly believed Garcia was a member of a rival youth organization.
On March 19, 2010, 16-year-old Mario Reyes and 16-year-old Francisco Gonzalez Sanchez beat Christian Perez, a member of the rival Surenos youth organization, to death with a baseball bat in the Woodlawn Park in Mount Vernon.
On October 7, 2013, Nelson Omar Quintanilla Trujillo was murdered by members Jose Lopez Torres, Juan Carlos Marquez Ayala, and Omar DeJesus Castillo, who then buried Quintanilla's corpse with the help of Alvin Gaitan Benitez.
At the instigation of 17-year-old Jose Cerrato, 17-year-old Venus Romero Iraheta and 21-year-old Wilmer A. Sanchez Serrano stabbed 15-year-old Damaris A. Reyes Rivas in Springfield on January 8, 2017.
- Smith, Leef, and Chris L. Jenkins. "Fairfax Police Hold 3 Youths In Stabbing, Beating Death." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 1 Aug. 2000. Web. 25 July 2016.
- Jackman, Tom. "Teen Guilty of 2nd-Degree Murder in Fairfax Stabbing." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 26 Jan. 2001. Web. 25 July 2016.
- Jackman, Tom. "VIRGINIA BRIEFING: Two Life Terms in Gang Slaying." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 03 May 2008. Web. 04 Sept. 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "Gang Member Admits Role in 2001 Va. Slaying." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 10 Dec. 2004. Web. 17 May 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "MS-13 Man Sentenced to 3 Life Terms." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 5 Feb. 2005. Web. 17 May 2014.
- Markon, Jerry. "2nd MS-13 Member Convicted in Herndon Slaying." The Washington Post: 0. Sep 23 2005. ProQuest. Web. 14 May 2014.
- Jackman, Tom. "Va. Teen Gets 28 Years in Gang Slaying." Washington Post: The Crime Scene. The Washington Post, 25 Feb. 2011. Web. 23 May 2014.
- U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. U.S. Department of Justice. MS-13 Gang Members Indicted on Multiple Murder and Attempted Murder Charges. U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Eastern District of Virginia. U.S. Department of Justice, 17 Oct. 2014. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.
- Jouvenal, Justin, and Matt Zapotosky. "MS-13 Members Charged in 3 Killings, Attempted Murder in Northern Virginia." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 17 Oct. 2014. Web. 20 Oct. 2014.
- Jouvenal, Justin. "Gang Killers Recorded a Teen's Final Moments. The Video Helped Convict One of Them." The Washington Post. WP Company, 14 Nov. 2017. Web. 09 Jan. 2018.
- Jouvenal, Justin, and Michael E. Miller. "She Told the Girl She'd See Her in Hell before Stabbing Her. Now, She's Guilty of an MS-13 Murder." The Washington Post. WP Company, 08 Jan. 2018. Web. 08 Jan. 2018.
- MS-13 article on Wikipedia