- August 10 – 39-year-old James A. Cetto II kills himself, his 41-year-old passenger, and 52-year-old Katherine F. Miller when he loses control of his 1993 Toyota pickup truck and crashes into several other cars on Backlick Road in Springfield.
- August 19 – Fairfax County Circuit Judge R. Terrence Ney sentences David A. Patton to 50 years in prison for the murder of Stephen A. Carr in Carr's Springfield home on September 12, 2010.
- August 23 – Fairfax County is shaken by a magnitude 5.8 earthquake originating in Mineral, Virginia.
- August 23 – 53-year-old Dr. Tam-Anh Chu of Great Falls is killed in Fairfax when he loses control of his 1996 Toyota sedan and crashes into a tree near the intersection of Braddock and Burke Station roads.
- Fairfax County Police Department. Public Information Office. Triple Fatal Crash in Newington Area. Homepage - Fairfax County, Virginia. Fairfax County Police Department, 11 Aug. 2011. Web. 13 Aug. 2011.
- Weinraub, Lori K. "Springfield Resident Sentenced for Murder of Local Man." Burke, VA Patch. Patch.com, 2 Sept. 2011. Web. 17 Feb. 2016.
- Achenbach, Joel. "5.8 Virginia Earthquake Shakes East Coast, Rattles Residents" The Washington Post. The Washington Post, 23 Aug. 2011. Web. 24 Aug. 2011.
- Limbach, James. "Fairfax Crash Kills Great Falls Man." FairfaxNews.com. FairfaxNews.com, 24 Aug. 2011. Web. 12 Nov. 2011.
|Fairfax County by Year: 2011|
|July 2011||·||August||·||September 2011|