- September 8 – The remains of tropical storm Lee dump up to 12 inches of rain on Fairfax County, causing the drowning deaths of 12-year-old Jack Donaldson in Vienna, 25-year-old Galo Sebastian Salvador Vinueza in Lorton, and 67-year-old Arsalan Hakimi in Great Falls.
- September 10 – 40-year-old construction worker Edgar Tobar is killed in Annandale when he is run over by an asphalt roller.
- September 18 – 1-year-old infant Wreef Wafy Almutiri drowns in a bathtub at the Westin Reston Heights hotel in Reston, where his parents are staying.
- Zapotosky, Matt, and Mary Pat Flaherty. "Flooding Claims Four Lives in D.C. Area." The Washington Post. The Washington Post, 9 Sept. 2011. Web. 11 Sept. 2011.
- Goff, Karen. "Reston Man Dies in Flooding." Reston, VA Patch. Patch.com, 9 Sept. 2011. Web. 11 Sept. 2011.
- Fairfax County Police Department. Public Information Office. Man Dies in Construction Incident. Fairfax County Police Department News Releases. Fairfax County Police Department, 10 Sept. 2011. Web. 7 Mar. 2012.
- "Local Briefs:Worker Fatally Hit by Asphalt Roller." The Washington Post: C.3. National Newspapers Core. Sep 11 2011. Web. 7 Mar. 2012/
- Fairfax County Police Department. Public Information Office. Police Investigate Drowning in Reston Area. Fairfax County Police News Releases. Fairfax County Police Department, 19 Sept. 2011. Web. 20 Sept. 2011.
- Korff, Jay. "Wreef Wafy Almutiri, Infant, Drowns at Westin Hotel." WJLA.com. Allbritton Communications Company, 19 Sept. 2011. Web. 19 Sept. 2011.
|Fairfax County by Year: 2011|
|August 2011||·||September||·||October 2011|