This Day In Fractured Fairfax:June 13
- June 13, 1951 – Secretary of the Commerce Department Charles Sawyer announces plans to acquire 4500 acres in Burke for a new international airport there. The Justice Department files suit in the Federal Court in Alexandria to condemn the land and posts notices of its intent in the local post office.
- June 13, 1957 – 21-year-old Arthur W. Wertman breaks his neck diving into Timberlake in Oakton. Wertman dies two days later at the Bethesda Naval Hospital.
- June 13, 1966 – 15-year-old Alexandria youth Steven G. Norris is struck and killed when he runs into the path of the cruiser driven by Fairfax County Police Corporal Robert L. Ellis, who was responding to a domestic call on Route 1. Norris is taken to the Alexandria Hospital, where he is pronounced dead.
- June 13, 1972 – The body of an unknown child, aged between 4 and 6, who had been beaten to death is found floating in the Massey Creek near the Colchester neighborhood of Lorton.
- June 13, 1972 – A proposed $54.9 million school bond referendum is defeated by 52% of the vote.
- June 13, 1973 – The West Spring Twin Cinema movie theater opens in Springfield.
- June 13, 1976 – 28-year-old David L. Hogan concludes an argument with 30-year-old Harry S. Wilkerson and 25-year-old Clifton H. Banks by shooting both men with a RG 14 .22 caliber pistol in a parking lot at 1060 Alabama Drive in Herndon. Wilkerson is mortally wounded, and dies about two hours later at the Fairfax Hospital.
- June 13, 1983 – 28-year-old Keith Hunter is ambushed and fatally stabbed by several other prisoners in a television room in Cell Block No. 6 at the Lorton Reformatory.
- June 13, 2008 – 86-year-old Vienna resident Virginia C. Casey dies in a fire at her home at 308 Plum Street, SW.
- June 13, 2010 – 49-year-old Kenston K. Yi fatally strangles his 15-year-old daughter Joy, then beats his 47-year-old wife Hannah to death in the family's rented condo at 9238 Cardinal Forest Lane in the Gunston Corner neighborhood of Lorton.
This Day In Fractured Fairfax