- July 17 – 19-year-old Mario A. Bustillo is sentenced to 30 years in prison by Judge Gerald Bruce Lee for beating and mortally injuring 18-year-old James R. Merry with a baseball bat on December 10, 1997 outside the Popeye's restaurant in the Springfield Plaza.
- July 30 – At the instruction of a chess piece, 21-year-old Alfred L. Head drives his 1990 Pontiac into the front wall of the family home at 1319 Westhills Lane in Reston, then beats his 56-year-old mother Libby to death with a baseball bat.
- Melillo, Wendy. "Killing Gets Va. Gang Member 30 Years." The Washington Post: 0. Jul 18 1998. ProQuest. Web. 17 June 2014 .
- Melillo, Wendy, and Erica Beshears. "Man Charged in Mother's Death; Friends Say Woman had Struggled with Son's Mental Condition." The Washington Post: 0. Aug 01 1998. National Newspapers Core. Web. 15 Nov. 2012.
- Jackman, Tom. "Reston Man Committed in Slaying of Mother; Mental Disorders Cited by Experts." The Washington Post: 0. Dec 18 1999. National Newspapers Core. Web. 15 Nov. 2012.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1998|
|June 1998||·||July||·||August 1998|