- January 4 – 5-month old Trevon Taylor dies of starvation in Falls Church.
- January 16 – While leaving her job at DesignTech International, 36-year-old Sherry A. Culp is fatally shot in the head by an unknown assailant as she sits in her car in the parking lot at Dynatech and Cameron Brown Courts in the Fullerton Industrial Park in Springfield. Culp, who was 8 1/2 months pregnant, is taken to the Fairfax Hospital, where her baby Kelsey is delivered by emergency Caesarian section, but the little girl dies 2 days later.
- January 23 – Mir Aimal Kasi is sentenced to death by Judge J. Howe Brown for the January 25, 1993 murders of Frank Darling and Dr. Lansing Bennett outside the Central Intelligence Agency's Langley headquarters.
- January 30 – 60-year-old Surinder M. Telhan is struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver as he crosses Prosperity Avenue outside the Dunn Loring Metro station in Vienna.
- "Crime & Justice: Mother Pleads Guilty to Killing Infant." Washington Post. The Washington Post, 10 Nov. 1998. Web. 27 July 2016.
- "Police Seek Help in Cold Murder Case." Connection Newspapers. Connection Newspapers, 17 Jan. 2007. Web. 27 Oct. 2012.
- Weiner, Tim. "Killer of Two At C.I.A. Draws Death Sentence." The New York Times. The New York Times, 24 Jan. 1998. Web. 31 Mar. 2012.
- "Police look for car involved in accident." The Washington Times, 1 Feb. 1998, 2, A METROPOLITAN TIMES METRO BRIEFS VIRGINIA FAIRFAX, p. A12. NewsBank, . Accessed 9 Feb. 2018.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1998|
|December 1997||·||January||·||February 1998|