Clifton is a town in Fairfax County, Virginia.
In 1869, the Orange and Alexandria Railroad built Clifton Station as a stop for locally-produced commodities. The station was given its name by Harrison G. Otis, an antebellum immigrant who likely named the station after a town in his native New York.
In 1961, the County proposed a merger with Clifton to form a city in response to the continued threat of annexation from the cities of Alexandria and Falls Church. This failed because state law permitted mergers of counties with adjacent towns, but said nothing about towns wholly enclosed by counties.
In the early twentieth century, the exhaustion of the local natural pulpwood resources which initially prompted the creation of the Clifton Station caused the town's expansion to essentially halt, and the town was bypassed by the many real estate schemes perpetrated in the rest of Fairfax County. This stagnation lead to Clifton being essentially unchanged for much of the century: the population of the town in the year 2000 was not much different from 1900.
- Baker, Robert E. "Fairfax County Change Stirs Row in Legislature." The Washington Post, Times Herald (1959-1973): 1. Feb 07 1962. ProQuest. Web. 3 Aug. 2014 .
- Chandler, Michael A. "Board Votes to Close Clifton Elementary; Residents had Fought to Save Only School in Small Fairfax Town." The Washington Post: B.5. National Newspapers Core. Jul 09 2010. Web. 19 Dec. 2011.
- Netherton, Nan, Donald Sweig, Janice Artemel, Patricia Hickin, and Patrick Reed. Fairfax County, Virginia: A History. Fairfax, VA: Fairfax County Board of Supervisors, 1992. Print.