This Day In Fractured Fairfax:August 12
- August 12, 1948 – 3-year-old Kay Sowers is burned and mortally injured in a fire on her parents' farm in Herndon. The injured child is taken to Children's Hospital in Washington, D.C., where she dies the following evening.
- August 12, 1968 – Governor Mills E. Godwin appoints Burch Millsap to the bench of the 16th Judicial Circuit Court to replace John C. Testerman, who unexpectedly resigned after serving only two months of his eight-year term.
- August 12, 1975 – 62-year-old retired Army colonel Leroy Thompson, Jr. shoots and kills 18-year-old Charles B. Finney, Jr. and mortally injures 21-year-old Leslie R. Summers when Thompson catches the two men burglarizing his house at 6450 Overlook Drive in the Pinecrest neighborhood of Alexandria. Summers is taken to the Alexandria Hospital, where he dies.
- August 12, 1978 – The body of 12-year-old Billy Viscidi is found buried in a shallow grave in the backyard of his home at 503 Princeton Terrace SW in Vienna, about 46 yards from the family house.
- August 12, 1984 – 30-year-old Heidi Berg is shot six times in the back as she jogs near the AAA Building at 8111 Gatehouse Road in Falls Church.
This Day In Fractured Fairfax