The Alexandria and Leesburg Turnpike company was incorporated by an act of Congress in 1813 for the purpose of building a turnpike road from the intersection of Pendleton and West Street toward the border of what was then Alexandria County with Fairfax County.
The road enters the county from Loudoun County at Dranesville, passes through Tysons Corner and McLean, then through the City of Falls Church, where the road is named Broad Street. Upon exiting the city, it again becomes Leesburg Pike and proceeds through the communities of Seven Corners and Bailey's Crossroads to the border of the City of Alexandria, where it becomes King Street.
- Peters, Richard. "Chapter XI An Act to Incorporate a Company for Making a Certain Turnpike Road in the County of Alexandria." The Public Statutes at Large of the United States of America. Vol. III. Boston: Little and Brown, 1846. 5-12. Google Books. Google. Web. 16 Sept. 2012.
- Virginia State Route 7 article at Wikipedia