- May 4 – 59-year-old Samuel O. Abutoh repeatedly rams his Hummer SUV into the front of the Silver Diner at 8101 Fletcher Street in McLean, mortally injuring 74-year-old Andrew D. Sheren. Abutoh then pours a flammable liquid on the vehicle and himself and sets it on fire, but is pulled from the vehicle.
- May 12 – 33-year-old Matthew E. Calendine stumbles into the road in front of his house at 6143 Shiplett Boulevard and is struck and killed by a hit-and-run driver.
- May 16 – 18-year-old Erika Dunn is struck by a train and mortally injured as she and two friends walk along the railroad tracks in Burke. Dunn is taken to Inova Fairfax Hospital, where she dies.
- May 18 – 71-year-old Medardo Carrillo Arias is struck and killed by a 51-year-old driver in a 2012 Jeep Wrangler as he attempts to cross Leesburg Pike near Glen Carlyn Drive in the Culmore area of Falls Church.
- May 20 – 24-year-old Tarreece J. Sampson is shot to death outside his apartment building in the Cityside Huntington Metro Apartments complex in Alexandria.
- May 26 – 50-year-old Kathi L. Lipp commits suicide at her home at 11526 Seneca Farm Way in Great Falls.
- Gonzalez, John, and Richard Reeve. "Hit-and-run Driver Kills Man Who Stumbled onto Road in Virginia." WJLA. Sinclair Broadcast Group, 12 May 2016. Web. 13 May 2016.
- Kelleher, Colleen. "Springfield Teen Dies after She's Struck by Train." WTOP. WTOP, 17 May 2016. Web. 17 May 2016.
- Ashford, Ellie. "Pedestrian Killed on Leesburg Pike." The Annandale Blog. Ellie Ashford, 19 May 2016. Web. 22 Jan. 2017.
- FCPD Public Affairs Bureau. "Homicide Investigation in the Alexandria Area of Fairfax County." Fairfax County Police Department News. Fairfax County Police Department, 20 May 2016. Web. 28 May 2016.
- FCPD Public Affairs Bureau. "Update: Death Investigation Great Falls." Fairfax County Police Department News. Fairfax County Police Department, 30 May 2016. Web. 11 July 2016.
|Fairfax County by Year: 2016|
|April 2016||·||May||·||June 2016|