- May 3 – Carroll D. Buracker is promoted to deputy chief of the Fairfax County Police Department, replacing the retiring Kenneth R. Wilson. Harry Sommers is promoted to commander of field operations, replacing Major Richard Lester, who also retired. Former Franconia District Station commander Al Barbee is named as Buracker's replacement as the head of the department's services bureau.
- May 15 – 20-year-old Phillip Hall commits suicide with Fairfax County Police Officer Ray M. Clements' pistol in the psychiatric ward of the Fairfax Hospital. Officer Clements had been assigned to guard Hall, who became violent and snatched Clements' pistol during a struggle.
- May 17 – Fairfax County Public Schools superintendent S. John Davis resigns to become the Virginia state superintendent of schools.
- May 26 – 27-year-old paralegal Margaret E. Goehring is abducted, robbed, sexually assaulted and finally shot to death by William Brown, III in Falls Church.
- May 29 – Rupert F. Pearson, Jr., beats up his girlfriend, Lynn Shifflett, at the Berkeley Square Apartments in Vienna, forcing her to admit her dalliance with 26-year-old John T. Lundmark. He forces Shifflett to call Lundmark, who shows up at the apartment and is fatally shot by Pearson. Lundmark is taken to the hospital, where he dies later that morning.
- Knight, Athelia. "14-Year Veteran is Named Fairfax Deputy Police Chief." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. May 04 1979. ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Washington Post (1877-1995). Web. 1 Oct. 2012.
- Harden, Blaine. "Mental Patient, 20, Takes Guard's Gun and Kills Himself." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 2. May 16 1979. ProQuest. Web. 10 Nov. 2014 .
- Frankel, Glenn, and Ina Lee Selden. "Davis Gets High Va. Post." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 2. May 19 1979. ProQuest. Web. 26 Aug. 2014.
- "Arlington Woman Killed by Gunshot, Police Say." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. May 29 1979. ProQuest. Web. 30 Jan. 2014.
- Pichirallo, Joe. "Man Charged in Slaying Last May of Justice Aide." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Feb 14 1980. ProQuest. Web. 30 Jan. 2014
- "Fairfax Man Slain, Suspect is Charged." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. May 30 1979. ProQuest. Web. 24 Aug. 2016.
- Pearson v. Commonwealth. 275 S.E.2d 893. Supreme Court of Virginia. 6 Mar. 1981. Justia. Justia, n.d. Web. 24 Aug. 2016.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1979|
|April 1979||·||May||·||June 1979|