- March 8 – FBI agent Carl E. Swanson is shot in the butt while trying to arrest Arizona prison escapees Robert V. Latimer and Kenneth J. Lundien in the parking lot of Springfield Mall in Springfield.
- March 12 – The Fairfax County Board of Supervisors unanimously approves a new regulation that all newly hired public safety officers, including police officers, firefighters, and deputy sheriffs, must be nonsmokers and agree to remain nonsmokers throughout their employment.
- Michnya, Rosa, and John Ward Anderson. "FBI Agent Shot Near Springfield Mall while Hunting Suspect." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 2. Mar 09 1984. ProQuest. Web. 18 Aug. 2014.
- Weil, Martin. "Man Wanted for Shooting at Springfield Mall Killed." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Apr 16 1984. ProQuest. Web. 18 Aug. 2014.
- Fishman, Charles. "Fairfax Prohibits Hiring of Smokers in Safety Jobs." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 2. Mar 13 1984. ProQuest. Web. 6 Apr. 2014.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1984|
|February 1984||·||March||·||April 1984|