- January 2 – 17-year-old Troy Wooten mortally injures 21-year-old Jason Baughman when he provides the coda to Baughman's assault on his pregnant ex-girlfriend Megan Craig by smashing Baughman's skull with a two-foot steel pipe. Baughman is flown to the Inova Fairfax Hospital, where he dies two days later.
- January 8 – Circuit Court Judge Robert W. Wooldridge, Jr. sentences Troy A. Demar to 40 years in prison for stabbing his 23-year-old girlfriend Christine Allen to death in her Alexandria apartment on February 28, 1998.
- January 13 – A failed business negotiation in a Fairfax parking lot results in the shooting deaths of 22-year-old Robert J. Davidson and 16-year-old Alexander D. Szymkowicz. The negotiation was in fact a ruse by recreational agricultural products salesman John P. Michaelangelo to steal $900 from a group of three youths which included Szymkowicz. When Davidson brandished a cigarette lighter shaped like a handgun in furtherance of the attempted rip-off, Szymkowicz reciprocated by brandishing a handgun shaped like a handgun and fatally shot Davidson in the chest. Michaelangelo then wrestled the gun away from Szymkowicz and shot him in the head.
- January 24 – 44-year-old Christine Wolf confronts her husband, 41-year-old Randy M. Kuklis, with a videotape of him with another woman, then shoots him several times before committing suicide in the couple's home at 8836 Camfield Court in Alexandria.
- Jackman, Tom. "Teen Convicted in Parking Lot Killing; Fairfax Jury Not Swayed by Claims of Defending Woman." The Washington Post: 0. Apr 03 1999. National Newspapers Core. Web. 22 Nov. 2012.
- "Crime and Justice: Teen Charged in Man's Death." The Washington Post: 0. Jan 05 1999. National Newspapers Core. Web. 22 Nov. 2012.
- "Man Convicted in Girlfriend's Death." The Washington Post. WP Company, 09 Jan. 1999. Web. 03 Sept. 2017.
- Jackman, Tom. "Fairfax Man, 19, Charged in Shooting that Left 2 Dead." The Washington Post: 0. Jan 15 1999. National Newspapers Core. Web. 27 Dec. 2012.
- "Crime & Justice: Fairfax Teen Guilty of Manslaughter." The Washington Post: 0. Sep 11 1999. National Newspapers Core. Web. 27 Dec. 2012.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE:Woman Killed; Husband Wounded." The Washington Post: B07. Jan 26 1999. ProQuest. Web. 30 July 2016.
- "CRIME & JUSTICE: Husband Says Wife Shot Him, Killed Self." The Washington Post: B02. Jan 30 1999. ProQuest. Web. 30 July 2016.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1999|
|December 1998||·||January||·||February 1999|