- January 2 – 29-year-old Kris Lawson is killed on Interstate 66 near Centreville when his 1985 Nissan is struck by a pickup truck driven by Samuel Smilie that crosses the median strip and hits Lawson's car head on.
- January 12 – 28-year-old Jerry Lee Dunbar is sentenced to life in prison by Judge Johanna L. Fitzpatrick for the murder of Deirdre Smith in the spring of 1989.
- January 29 – Following his second trial, 37-year-old Raheem Abdul Muhammad is found guilty of the murder of 18-year-old clerk Vinay K. Bhatia in Alexandria on September 9, 1989.
- "Md. Man Dies in Crash." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): D3A. ProQuest Historical Newspapers: The Washington Post (1877-1995). Jan 03 1990. Web. 19 Feb. 2012.
- Brown, DeNeen L. "Pain, Regret at Murderer's Sentencing;Family Members Recall Va. Victim." The Washington Post (pre-1997 Fulltext): 0. Jan 13 1990. ProQuest. Web. 6 June 2014.
- Brown, DeNeen L. "Va. Man Convicted in Fairfax Slaying." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Jan 30 1990. ProQuest. Web. 6 June 2014.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1990|
|December 1989||·||January||·||February 1990|