- April 4 – 83-year-old Juanita G. Esparolini wanders away from the Leewood Nursing Home and is struck and killed in front of the home at 7120 Braddock Road in Annandale by a 1974 Opel driven by 25-year-old Johnny Ray Brown.
- April 14 – 19-year-old Jonathan P. Reinemer is convicted on four counts of involuntary manslaughter for causing the November 9, 1980 crash that killed his three passengers, 18-year-olds Alana J. Klingebiel and Wallace Simpson, Jr. and 17-year-old Deborah L. Rodgers as well as the driver of another car, 22-year-old Lawrence O'Brien.
- April 21 – James D. Fries shoots and mortally wounds 48-year-old Franklin D. Sumpter with a shotgun during a botched early-morning robbery at the 7-Eleven at 7724 Telegraph Road in Alexandria. Sumpter is discovered unconscious on the floor of the store and taken to the Mount Vernon Hospital, where he dies later that morning.
- "Annandale Resident, 83, Killed on Braddock Road." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Apr 06 1981. ProQuest. Web. 25 Dec. 2017 .
- "Elderly Resident of Nursing Home Wanders Away, Is Killed by Car." Evening Star, 6 Apr. 1981, Three Star MONDAY FINAL, p. 47. NewsBank. Accessed 25 Dec. 2017.
- Boodman, Sandra G. "Driver Convicted In Va. Collision That Killed Four." Washington Post. Washington Post, 15 Apr. 1981. Web. 11 June 2016.
- "Va. 7-Eleven Store Worker Killed in Apparent Robbery." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Apr 22 1981. ProQuest. Web. 19 Aug. 2014.
- Shiver, Jube, Jr. "Fairfax Man, 19, Convicted of Convenience Store Killing." The Washington Post (1974-Current file): 1. Dec 02 1981. ProQuest. Web. 19 Aug. 2014.
|Fairfax County by Year: 1981|
|March 1981||·||April||·||May 1981|