Accotink Creek Railroad Bridge
The current bridge is actually the fourth to cross Accotink creek in this same general location.
The original trestle, built as part of the Orange and Alexandria Railroad in 1851, crossed the Accotink creek a few hundred feet north of the present span. This trestle was burned a part of the Burke's Station raid on December 28, 1862. The second bridge was soon built to replace this lost.
The third bridge was built during the 1903 re-routing and double-tracking of the original Orange and Alexandria Railroad line by the Southern Railroad and was of wrought iron. This span was replaced by the present bridge in 1948.
- "Double Tracking the Road." The New York Times 22 Aug. 1903. The New York Times. The New York Times, 30 Aug. 2007. Web. 8 Feb. 2012.